Pieces of Us...
In the Beginning - Monday, February 26, 2007


We did absolutely NOTHING this past weekend. Saturday we stayed home and worked on cleaning the house and washing clothes. Fun (not).

Sunday we had full intentions of getting the kids out of the house. Just like us, they get a bit stir crazy if they stay cooped up in the house for more than a day or so. What can I say, none of us have ever been "homebodies" that's for sure.


We really had full intentions of taking them to the park, the science center, children's museum or something. But no, Sunday morning it was peedle pouring outside and cold and wet and just plain ole yucky outside. So it was another day of hanging around the house being bored. Fun. Like I should bitch after just spending a week in the Caribbean and then a weekend at home in Tennessee. I'm never satisfied.

Sundays are my days to sleep in. I slept in until 9:30 a.m. It was sheer heaven. For some reason I had a hard time falling asleep Saturday night and then I couldn't seem to drag my butt out of bed Sunday morning. The kids weren't screaming, yelling and fighting like normal. Jonathan had fed them and all was well with the world. But if I had slept any later, I definitely would have felt guilty. So I drug myself out of bed.

Jonathan and I watched You, Me and Dupree Saturday night. It was the longest and dullest comedy we have seen in awhile. For some reason I had also put Donnie Darko on my Netflix list. I knew going into it that it was a pretty weird movie, but 20 minutes or so into it, we just shut the thing off. It was S-T-U-P-I-D. Maybe we should have given it more time, but we just couldn't. So we ended up watching last night's episode of the Amazing Race on the DVR. Such an exciting weekend.

Again last night I couldn't fall asleep. Jonathan was snoring logs beside of me in his blissful sleep, and I was laying there thinking utterly stupid thoughts.

I was thinking, "You know, we've lead a pretty interesting life." "I really wish I had kept a journal of our history together." "Maybe I should start writing our history down or something...."

Don't even ask me where this stuff is coming from. But as I was laying there I got about 15 chapters into my thoughts. I know no one really gives a crap about my life, but still it might be interesting to write it down. I'm very interested in my family's history and I have always loved hearing stories from my grandmother, father, aunts and uncles, etc. I really wish that someone would have taken the time to write some of our family stories down. Most of them are probably forever lost as each relative passes on.

I'm sentimental in ways. I have every single letter that Jonathan has ever written me. The letters start in the fall of 1989, the month that Jonathan went into the Army. I have them in chronological order from 1989 to 1999. After that we didn't use "snail mail" anymore. No one actually writes letters in this day and age. Its a thing of the past.

But anyway, the letters start in 1989 when Jonathan first went into the military. The two of us were just friends. We had tried dating (for about 2 weeks) way back in high school. But for some reason, we had just always been friends. Very close friends mind you. But only friends.

We spent a lot of time together in the last few weeks before he left for the Army. But he met this girl right before he went in and fell madly in love (well lust). So the letters start out in a friendly kind of way talking about this girl he met and how basic training is going and what not. Just general stuff.

But as the letters progress we grew closer. I only have his letters to go by. I used to write him NOVELS. I mean like 10 and 15 pages of typed letters. I'm sure he probably took my letters with him to the john to read, they were really that long. His letters are just a couple of pages. Sometimes he would write really big just to fill up more pages because I fussed that his letters were so short.

As time moved on we talked about our lives. I discussed my current boyfriend at the time and he told me he was going to be stationed in Germany. I was sad because I knew we probably wouldn't be seeing each other for a very long time. I made plans to visit him at his basic graduation, but one thing lead to another and I didn't make it down there. (My mistake).

He ended up meeting someone when he was in AIT (the training you take after basic to learn your military specialty. Its usually about 10 to 12 weeks long). Its funny, he never really mentioned her in his letters. It was an "AIT Romance." You know your missing home, you find someone who you have something in common with and you latch on to that person.

So as the time drew closer and closer for him to ship out to Germany, I kept promising myself I was going to drive down to South Carolina to see him. I wasn't quite as adventurous in those days. I was afraid I would get lost going down there, it was a long drive to make by myself. You know excuses.... So I never made it down there to visit him before he left for Germany sometime in early 1990.

Once he got to Germany the letters continued. We grew closer and closer through letters and phone calls. I had met someone new and been dating them for about 6 months. The two of us became engaged....

All through high school Jonathan was my person who I told all my secrets to. He was the person I talked to all the time about my boyfriends, my life, my dreams, etc. He always listened and never judged. And best of all, he agreed with everything I said (he still does that to this day to keep peace in the house). ;-)

So when things went bad with my boyfriend and we were on the verge of splitting up, I picked up the phone and called Jonathan in Germany. It was 3:00 a.m here in the States, but it was early morning in Germany. Jonathan picked up the phone and I began sobbing and telling him about my current mess. He was like, "Oh come on over and Huck will make it all better." "I'll give you a hug and you can tell me all your problems and we'll work it out."

And I was like, you know what, I might just do that. He kind of laughed and told me to come on. I know he thought I wasn't serious. But we hung up the phone and I made a few phone calls and found a flight for $300 round trip. I was going to Germany to visit my buddy.....

TO BE CONTINUED........
In the Beginning
Monica; 8:44 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

AWWW NO WAY DID YOU JUST LEAVE WITH A "TO BE CONTINUED". I hate it when my favorite series do that..lol
Ok i will wait as long as it ain't 6 months before you post again..lol
Just when it was getting good.
Well they say that the best marriages are close friends :)

10:56 PM  
Blogger Mallard said...

Gagh! I cannot BELIEVE that I have *MISSED* the return of your blog awakening! Please accept my most sincere and humble apologies, M'lady!

"Donnie Darko" is just plain weird... you chose wisely turning it off.

Hey, if you find family interesting, that's sensational! Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. if it's special and you have a 'passion' to do it and find out more about it - go for it!!! Tho I'm keen to hear more - pwease?!? :)

Cyalayta
Mal :)

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com