Pieces of Us...
Mother's Day Weekend - Monday, May 15, 2006

Hope everyone had a very Happy Mother's Day. Mine was pretty good. As expected, no card, flowers or gifts, but at least I have happy healthy children. Jonathan did suggest we go out to eat. I was feeling in the mood for some steak, so we headed to the Outback last night. It was yummy as always. They even handed out carnations to all the moms. So I did get one flower! Although Skyler had broke it before we even left the table. Poor baby, she was so upset she broke momma's flower.

Little Man is a total flirt. He flashes his big baby blues to the ladies and they just swoon. He also has this habit of hitting women on the booty. He doesn't hit men, only the girls. I fear this habit may be my fault because I am constantly patting and squeezing his butt as I say, "Momma is going to eat you up!" He laughs and giggles and thinks it's funny. It's all good right now, but hopefully he still won't be in the habit of doing it when he is 25!

We had a really great weekend. Saturday afternoon around 1:00 p.m. I was sitting in the recliner and said to Jonathan,

"You know, it's such a nice day, we should get out and do something with the kids. I'm tired of sitting in the house."

Jonathan said, "What the heck are we supposed to do?"

So I got out this book I had bought a couple of years ago, titled Fun with the Family North Carolina. It's a pretty cool book that lists places to go and things to do in NC. I turned to our area and saw a place called The Lazy 5 Ranch. Here is their advertisement:

The Lazy 5 Ranch is a privately owned exotic animal drive-thru park that offers a 3.5 mile safari through the gently sloping pasturelands of Piedmont, North Carolina. While visiting at the Lazy 5 Ranch you will have the opportunity to view over 750 animals from six different continents. You can see these animals from the safety of your own car or call for reservations on our horse drawn wagons. And be sure to bring your camera. This is a drive-thru experience unique in North Carolina. There is no other collection of animals like this in the Southeast.

Other areas of interest at the Lazy 5 Ranch include petting areas, a black smith shop, gift store, horse barn, play ground and picnic areas.

I just have one thing to say. We had an absolute blast! The kids loved it. How many people can say they have pet and hand fed a giraffe!?! We took the horse drawn wagons and got up close and personal with some of the animals. A little too close sometimes. I'll be sure and put up some of the pics when I get a chance.

Jess, I know this is in your neck of the woods to, so if you ever get a chance to take Madison go for it! As a matter of a fact, email me and I'll meet you there.

The kids loved it. Even Jonathan had a bit of fun for once. Normally when I drag him somewhere with the kids and I he hates it. He mopes and makes us all miserable. But I actually think he had a pretty good time himself. Other than he got a bit perturbed at Chase because he didn't want to sit still. Go figure, a two year old boy who doesn't want to sit still. Chase wanted in on the action, he would have hopped on the backs of some of those animals and rode off into the sunset if we would have let him.

It was such a fun day and we all had a blast. Afterwards we went to this farm down the street called Patterson Farm and had some hand-dipped ice cream and picked some strawberries. It was great. And it is such beautiful country out that way. Rolling hills, lush green fields. Just beautiful. It totally reminded me of my home in Tennessee.

And now it's Monday and back to the ole grind at work. Don't you just hate Mondays. The weekends just seem to fly by. They are over and done with before you even know it.

So I got a bit of good news from Jonathan today. We had been planning on taking the family to Myrtle Beach for a 4 day weekend or something. But when I started checking on the prices of hotels and found out it was like $150 a night to stay there in the summer (and this is like the Days Inn, Motel 8, etc.), I almost had a cow! Please tell me how normal families afford to take their children to the beach. I mean who the hell can afford that? I guess your average family can't afford to take much of a vacation anymore. Now I remember why we cruise so often. It's cheaper than even paying for a hotel room at the beach!

So anyway, Jonathan has a client with his work who has a half a million dollar 4 bedroom home on the beach in Myrtle Beach. He doesn't use it that often and doesn't rent it out. So Jonathan just casually asked him if he rents his home out and he said no way, he was too picky about who he would want to stay there. So Jonathan was just going to let it be when the guy said, "But your more than welcome to use it any time you like. You just have to clean the place back up when you leave." Score!!!! How cool is that? So now we are making plans to go stay in his house for a week in June. What a super nice guy!

Our only fear is that Chase might break something. I told Jonathan with 4 bedrooms when we got there we could just do a run through of the house and put anything breakable at Chase's height in one of the extra bedrooms. I would hate for my toddler to break something when someone was nice enough to let us use their for free. This will be Chase's first time to the beach. Should be fun to watch.

I just got an email from fellow blogger Krista. She has a wonderful story on the adoption of her daughter. Krista and her husband live in Germany. The story is on AFN (Armed Forces Network) Click on the link below to view her video. What a great story Krista!

http://images.radcity.net/5765/1434508.wmv

Mother's Day Weekend
Monica; 4:19 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger simah said...

hi ya..

just hopping by...
your kids seems adorable.. my sister in law used to live in NC a few years back..

Happy mother's day to you'

3:34 AM  
Blogger simah said...

p.s- i didnt get any flower as well..instead i got ..Frozen Squids!!! *chuckles*..we r among those lucky ones to have such romantic husbands

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to catch up on things in your life. That safari drive-through sounds so interesting. I wish we had something like that here. And to get a house on the beach for free--too cool! I would be like you and childproof the place too. I can't wait to see pictures of everything. I hope you don't go away from blogging agian--I missed you!

9:35 AM  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

I wish we had something like that safari thing in Michigan. I hear their is one in Ohio tho.
That was great that you guys did that as a family.


You always score on your vacations. That was really nice of the guy to do that for you all. When are you going to Myrtle Beach?
Have fun!

2:11 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

WOW.. sounds like you guys have been busy, thats fantastic! We usually get to Myrtle Beach also every summer. We stay in a place called Ocean Lakes. You can rent cottages. Its fairly inexpensive, they have their own beach and you can drive golf carts all over the place. Its great! Very kid friendly too! But great score on getting the free place!
Hope everything else is well! Happy Belated Mothers Day!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com