Pieces of Us...
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.... - Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Oh the pain of trying to make life decisions for your children. Today I had an appointment with the Spanish Immersion Magnet School here in our area. I was very impressed with their program. I won't go into all this boring detail or anything, but I thought it was great. The only problem I have with magnet schools are they are in very poor/under privileged neighborhoods. The classrooms were pretty diverse though. It isn't the neighborhood children that go to the magnet schools, the kids are bused in from other areas. But if the school is located in such a neighborhood, they get more funding from the state. No biggie I guess.

It was amazing to see the Kindergartners at the school speaking perfect Spanish. I think it would be a great asset for Skyler to be bi-lingual. Imagine the doors it could open up for her when she is older.

The whole thing is freaking my mother out. She doesn't think I should send Skyler to a school where they only speak Spanish. They don't even teach the children to read or write in English until they are in 2nd grade. One thing you must agree to is to read every night to your child in English. Because the kids spean Spanish 6 to 7 hours a day, they begin to think and even dream in Spanish. Not that they are going to forget how to speak English or anything. But it is freaking my mom out. But the good thing is, Skyler isn't her kid, so she doesn't really get an opinion anyway.

We have an appointment with one other Magnet school this Friday. As I mentioned before, this is the performing arts school. But I try and think of it this way, would Skyler be a better child/adult learning piano and drama or to learn a second language?

*******

Work has just been exhausting. I don't know how much longer I can keep up the pace I have been keeping. I want to do a good job, but do you ever get to the point where you have so much to do that you just think you aren't doing anything well? That's kind of where I'm at right now.

I guess we all get frustrated with our jobs. No one has the "perfect" job or anything. And there is always jealousy, cattiness, etc. that goes on in an office. Any time you get a bunch of women together day in and day out, there is always going to be trouble. Why is it men don't seem to be as bad as women when it comes to getting along?

*****

Tonight I am planning on attending another MOPS meeting. I had such a great time at the last one. I highly recommend the MOPS groups for any mother of a pre-schooler.

I really promised myself that I would try to get back into writing in this journal and reading all the journals I enjoy so much. But sometimes you just don't really have a whole lot to say. Nothing exciting has been going on in our lives here these past few weeks. I know we are just anxious for winter to be over. It's actually pretty nice out today, but I'm so tired I don't even feel like taking the kids outside. And the bad thing is I only worked like 5 hours today since I had the appointment at the magnet school. Sometimes I wonder if I don't have something wrong with me because I am so tired all the time.

Anyway, I think I will spend the next hour or so getting caught up on some of your journals. I really don't have much else to talk about today. Until next time.....

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....
Monica; 2:57 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

You never know if your making the right decisions for you kids, but you do make the best decision that you can and hope its the right one.
I don't know if i would want a kid that can tell me off in another language.lol.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't concern yourself about the learning of English if you are immersing in Spanish. Kids adapt. My kids will be bi-lingual too and I figure it will work out how the child does it. Glad you are posting again. Hang in there--work will easy up soon.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Tonia Ho said...

all the sudden you've updated yours blog, the posts seem kind of long and details, for me, might need an hour to read them, anyway, it's nice to see you again.

11:01 PM  
Blogger j.sterling said...

decisions are so tough. serisouly.. you could always try the school- if it turns out to be something you aren't comfortable with or don't like, then you could address it then?

7:36 PM  
Blogger Tonia said...

You must be very busy ! there is not new post recently ! ApRIL 21 06,

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com