Pieces of Us...
Meme from Fellow Blogger... - Sunday, January 08, 2006
I don't usually like doing these things, but three of the blogs I read, Robyn, Jane and Nance all had such interesting answers, I thought I would do it. Here we go...

1. Four jobs you have had:


a. Waitress - Ok, admit it. We have all done this at one time or another haven't we? My career as a waitress actually started when I was 16 years old and I started working for a Chinese restaurant my current boyfriend worked at as a dishwasher. I only worked on Sundays and usually only made $35. But hey, that was enough to get me through the week back when gas was only $.70 a gallon and I didn't have many other expenses. I still eat at this restaurant to this day whenever I return home to TN. The same people still own it and still remember me.


b. Legal Secretary - I guess my first "real" job was as a legal secretary when I was fresh out of high school and only 17 years old. To this day I still remember my interview. The attorney asked me some various questions (it wasn't like I had a lot of experience or anything being as I had only just graduated from high school days earlier.). He said he liked secretaries who were young and "fresh" so he could "mold" them to what he wanted them to be. (Now that I look back on that, it sounds kind of scary, huh?)

So after all the questions, he asked me if I could type. He took me to a back office and told me to show him I could type. This was back in the day before most offices had computers. So I had to revert back to an ancient electric typewriter. I know some of you younger readers out there might say, "What the hell is a typewriter." Please don't make me feel old. So I stuck the paper in and typed approximately 5 words and he reached from behind me and ripped out the paper from the typewriter and said, "Yes, looks like you can type fine!" And thus began my wonderful career (with no college mind you) in the legal field....

c. Paralegal - I also worked as a legal assistant/paralegal for the Department of Defense in Europe. We handled all of the medical malpractice claims against the military. You didn't have a right to sue if you were maimed or killed by a military doctor because you weren't bound by U.S. law. There were 4 people in my office. We made the decision whether or not you would receive any payment for your injuries/death. After working here, I never visited another military doctor. I always kept my own insurance and never set foot in another military hospital.

d. Programs Coordinator - my current position. I basically plan continuing education and events for a non-profit association. I alsoassist the events department in our convention and various other major meetings throughout the year. Definately the coolest and best job I have ever had. I still work for an attorney, but it's not the same as litigation!

I've had quite a few other jobs, mostly as a legal assistant, but those are just a touch of what I've done over the last 18 years or so.

2. Four movies you would watch over and over:

a.
Forrest Gump
b. Legends of the Fall
c. Fried Green Tomatoes
d. Believe it or not, no other movies come to mind. I guess you can tell I haven't watched too many movies in the last few years!

3. Four places you have lived:

a. Ludwigshafen/Edigheim, Germany
b. Tongduchon, South Korea
c. Savannah, Georgia
d. Kingsport, Tennessee

4. Four TV shows you love to watch:


a. Lost
b. Desperate Housewives
c. Ghost Whisperer
d. Medium

5. Four places you have been on vacation:

a. Barcelona, Spain
b. Moscow, Russia/Soviet Union
c. Chejudo, South Korea
d. Hawaii, Caribbean, Thailand, Australia, Poland, Switzerland, Sweden, France, Spain, Denmark, Czech, etc.

Traveling with the military, we have had lots of really great vacations!

6. Four websites you visit daily:

a.
www.abcnews.com (gotta get my news fix since I don't actually watch it on television.

b. Some of my favorite blogs,
Robyn, Nance, Jane, Caroline, Jess, Krista and lots of others. But those are just to name a few.

c.
www.timesnews.net - My hometown newspaper. I used to check the wedding section daily. But now it seems I am checking the obituaries! Does that mean I am getting old?

d.
www.cruisemates.com - Gotta keep up-to-date on the latest cruises!

7. Four of your favorite foods:

a. Spaghetti
b. Pizza
c. Lobster Tails
d. Soup (just about any kind that doesn't have a lot of meat in it)

8. Four places you would rather be right now:


a. On a cruise!!
b. At home with my parents in TN.
c. Shopping (with lots of money, of course)
d. Any tropical island somewhere




Meme from Fellow Blogger... Monica; 11:06 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was fun to read about. Believe it or not, I have never been a waitress. A grocery checker, though! And the military medical system--ha ha. I know about that first hand too. I had to attend enough of those medical-legal briefings (telling us what dumb things other medical professionals had done) to know that there are pleanty of scary docs in the the military.

I noticed my name under the blogs you read but it is crossed out (I know you explained that) but I think it is funny because it looks like you are dissing me--ha ha.

So glad you you are back and running!

2:11 PM  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

OMG, i sooooo love the ghost whisperer! My absolute fav!
Yeh i admit i was a waitress/hostess, loved coming home with money everyday! My ambition was to do office work. Never thought i would have been management for a McD's for 16 years of my life.
Then I just found out that i have been working for Blockbuster for the past 5 years this April. I had only thought for 3 years...Where did i put those 2 years at? Time flies!
I could watch forrest Gump a million times...also what about Pretty woman! I have watched that about 10 million times...I love it, love it, love it!

Thanks for listing me as a frequent read. i read yours everyday also.

take care

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com