Pieces of Us...
Let's Get Organized, Organized... - Friday, October 14, 2005
Did I ever mention that here lately my mind has gone to pot! I have so much going through my mind with work, the kids, appointments, bills, shopping, etc. Jonathan is great at helping me with the kids, but that is basically where it ends with him. I'm responsible for everyone's appointments (including his); paying all the bills; doing all of the grocery shopping; clothes shopping (including buying his clothes and shoes); vacation planning; house cleaning; laundry washing.... Well you get the point. So anyway, I think at some point moms just hit their "breaking point." Well I think I have hit mine! I seriously think I need some kind of medication or something.

So anyway, I was freaking out about remembering everything a mom has to remember, i.e., which bill to pay when, doctor visits, school closings, teacher conferences, when homework is due, etc. So yesterday I decided to get off my ass and go out and get some calendars. Now I have a PDA, I have an Outlook calendar at work and at home, but none of that helps Jonathan help me remember things. So my first purchase was this
Family Organizer I bought at Border's. I figured this was something I could carry around with me at all times to keep up with the appointments, meetings, school conferences, half days of school, etc. Well you get the idea. And then I purchased the Mom's Plan It! (Not the Christian version). So it has taken me HOURS to fill out these calendars by combining things I have on my work calendar, my PDA, Skyler's school calendar, Jonathan's calendar etc. I plan on putting the Mom's Plant It! on the refrigerator at home so Jonathan can also look at it daily and help me remember things and also maybe assist in doing things. So wish me luck! Maybe we can get a bit more organized and I can actually start sleeping better at night.

When I lay down to sleep at night I just have so much crap running through my mind that I can't fall asleep. What needs to be done tomorrow, what do I need from the grocery store, does someone have an appointment tomororw, does Skyler need to be picked up early. I just lay there and my mind races and I can't go to sleep. The doctor prescribed me Ambien and it has helped, but I don't want to use it long term or anything. I've told the doctor I'm definately not "depressed" or anything, I think maybe I'm just too anxious. I fret over too much crap that isn't necessary. It pisses Jonathan off to no end. But someone has to take charge! He can literally lay his head on the pillow and is snoring in less than 2 minutes. Must be nice! I think Skyler is going to have my "I can't seem to fall asleep" problems. That really sucks.

I guess you other moms must just be better at handling things than I am. And I know there are other moms out there who have husbands who don't help with the kids very much. I'm really glad that Jonathan is so helpful with the kids, but I wish he would help me in other areas to. He basically comes home around 6:30 or 7:00 after the kids have had dinner and had their baths. So he plays with them a bit and then it's off to bed. I will say he is responsible for getting Skyler to sleep at night. He started all of these "rituals" with her that they have to do every night. It's funny though because if he is out of town, Sklyer knows that "Mommy don't play that game." I don't go through all those rituals the two of them have. It's a bedtime story, a couple of kisses and hugs and then I'm outta there.

Skyler is invited to her first "friend" birthday party tomorrow. Yesterday we went to ToysRUs to buy the kid a gift. He is a 5 year old boy.... I hate to say it, but I suck at buying boys gifts. There are so many cute and fun things for girls, but for boys... Well I just can't relate. I know I better get my ass in gear because um hello, I have a son now, but I still just really suck in the boy department.

So when I called up the little boy's mom to RSVP, I asked her if she wouldn't mind giving me a call back and letting me know if he needed anything in particular or what his likes were. So she gives me a call back and says he doesn't need anything in particular and hasn't really asked for anything. (Surprising to me because Skyler asks for something daily). So I mentioned to her that I'm not the best at buying a boy a birthday present. She kind of laughed and said that she wasn't either and she has 3 boys! She said she loves when they get invited to a girl's birthday party because she can go out and have some fun buying something cute. So at least I'm not the only one out there that has problems buying boy gifts!


Three weeks and counting to our vacation. I think Caroline mentioned in the comments that we were leaving really soon. But we actually don't leave until November 6th. We will return on November 20th. We fly down to St. Thomas on the 6th, then back to Ft. Lauderdale on the 10th. Spend two days in Ft. Laudedale and then on the 12th we are off on our 8 day cruise.

Stalkers, don't get any bright ideas about coming to rob our house or anything because my brother is staying here the first week and then my parents will be here the second. Not to mention that I have 3 police officers on my street and the neighbor right next to me is the retired Sheriff and we have a security system. So robbers beware! Hell, if a robber came into our house and seen the mess, he would probably turn and high tail it right back out the door! Can you say "toy disaster area?"

The next thing I really need to work on is organizing our house. But I barely have enough time to get stuff down now, so the organization of the house will have to wait. Hey, I can add that to my "To Do List" in my new Family Organizer. snarf

Ok, so I have ran out of things to talk about for today. I need to get caught up on all your journals. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll try and report soon on the birthday party. Hope Skyler acts decent at the party. Wish me luck!
Let's Get Organized, Organized...
Monica; 8:18 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I am completely crazy about remembering everything.. so you are not alone. I bought a mom plan it calendar and put it on the refrigerator. I put everyones appts and coming events and things on there so they are all in one place. I still keep all that in my PDA as well, but that way it is where Donnie and I can both see it and know what is coming up. So, don't worry your not crazy.. LOL.. just a mom.. :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Tonia said...

I just use the Yahoo calender to save my appointments and the special evens, it seem work for me, maybe I am not that kind of busy, (I am lucky, no need to work right now) so I will put all the bills on the table when I have time to pay them online(mostly) at the weekend, even those are not due yet, I'll also wrote cheques and sealed them in the envolopes and mark down the date that I should mail out the envelopes, then they will paid on time, not too early not too late, and pay all online bills by selecting the payment due date(usually 2 days before), so nothing will be late and forgot (so far !).

8:59 PM  
Blogger Mallard said...

So much to remember, so little memory to remember... what was I saying again...? lol No no, it's dads too who are unable to turn their minds off when they lay down to sleep too... maybe men are just not brave enough to admit it happens to them too, eh?!

Hope the birthday goes well.

Cyalayta
Mal :o)

12:10 AM  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

I think women put alot on their plates. I don't know why i can delegate jobs to my employess, but when it comes to having my husband help me with day to day tasks i still feel like i am working my ass off. Or in some cases he just makes it even harder for me. Hope all this organizing helps ya.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

my mom gave me one of those moms planner books... I LOVE IT! once you get used to it, its so handy to have

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com