Pieces of Us...
It's Never Going to End.... - Saturday, October 08, 2005

Well it happened again last night. Skyler threw an unbelievable tantrum. I'm so tired of all of this. Either I need medication or she needs medication, because one of us isn't going to make it. I just don't know what to do with her anymore. Sometimes I think some people in life aren't meant to be parents and I really think Jonathan and I fall into that category. I know it's horrible to say, but neither one of us are handling her very well. It's been about a year now. The littlest things just set her off.

Last night it started after we got home from the movies. She was actually pretty good at the movies. We also went to Best Buy, she stayed in the buggy, no fits or anything, so I was feeling pretty lucky. So then we get home and we play for awhile. I pick up the house a bit. Read a few journals online while she plays with her Leapster. Then it's time to go upstairs and go to bed. I change her into her gown and we head upstairs. I had bought her a new book at the consignment shop yesterday after I had taken some of the kids' clothes to be consigned. So I told her we would read the book after she brushed her teeth.


She said she wanted to read the book first and didn't want to brush her teeth. I said, "Sorry honey, we have to brush our teeth. We want to keep clean fresh teeth and not get any cavities." And then it turned into a power struggle. Skyler said, "I'm NOT GOING to brush my teeth, I said!!" And then it was all out war. She started screaming and yelling and I'm just sitting there looking at her dumbfounded. If you tell the child No or any variation thereof that she can't do something she wants at that exact second, she just completely loses her shit. I mean she totally freaked out. It turned into an hour and a half scream fest. As it was still going on the babysitter called. I was just in tears. I finally shut my bedroom door and just locked it. I knew if I didn't walk away, I was going to regret it. So she beat on my door for about 15 minutes while I calmed down. I'm just at my whit's end. We all need psychiatric help in this house.

It's really bad because my dad and stepmom won't keep her. My mom and my stepdad used to keep her for us occasionally while we went on vacation and what not. But now they really don't even want her to come home unless we come with her. I'm really afraid how she is going to act while we are on vacation. Not to mention two weeks is a long time for us to be gone. I think my mom will go bonkers while we are gone. I have this feeling that this may be the last time we go on vacation and get to leave the kids with my parents. I've already told my mom if Skyler starts acting completely out of control to take her to the babysitter's house. The babysitter has been keeping kids for 35 years and she is one of the only people who can set Skyler's ass straight. How sad is it when your child's grandparents don't even want to be around her sometimes? They love her dearly, but they just can't cope with her. Jonathan and I aren't doing too good of a job of it ourselves.

It's like she is Sybil with two or more personalities. She can be a perfect angel one minute (like she has been in school here for the last few weeks, thank G0d) and then the next minute she just flips her lid. She gets so angry sometimes and starts throwing things and breaking things.

I'm just at the end of my rope. I really don't know what to do. I've called the pediatrician's office dozens of times and sometimes literally in tears. And just like I said the other day, I get the "She'll grow out of it eventually speech." Please people! That is now what I need to hear.

I tried sending her to her room, sitting her in time out, talking calmly to her, talking loudly to her, holding her, ignoring her. I tried it all last night. Her fit lasted for over an hour. I tried and tried and tried to call Jonathan, but he must have been somewhere where his phone didn't work or he couldn't hear it ringing. I'm not sure.

I guess as they say the good times usually outweigh the bad times, but it just seems the bad times are getting more and more frequent here lately. I talk with my friends about it and they all just look at me like my child has two heads or something. I guess none of their kids have fits like this. But at least it's comforting to talk with some of you and hear your kind words. It's nice to know I'm not the ONLY mom out there with a difficult child. And I know my child isn't by no means the worst. But maybe some parents can handle things better than Jonathan and I can. The kids have been a huge strain on our marriage for the last couple of years. I couldn't tell you the times I thought Jonathan was just going to pack up his bags and hit the road. And here lately, I hate to say it, but I've kind of felt the same way.

Jonathan's mom left him and his brother when he was 2 and was never heard from again. Then the cycle continued when Jonathan's brother died and his girlfriend left their 3 kids behind after he had been gone for two years. They are now being adopted by some family members. I thank God that they are being well taken care of and I know now that we would have never made it if we had taken the boys. Our marriage is having a hard time surviving our own kids. If we had added 3 more boys to the mix, we both would probably be in our graves right now. But you don't know how guilty I feel at times thinking about them and how we didn't take them. But I know they are in really good hands and being well taken care of. As a matter of a fact, we are going to go see them while we are in Florida next month. They probably won't even remember who we are. I know the baby won't. But maybe the oldest one will.

Anyway, thanks for lending me your ear. You guys have really helped me deal with this a little better. Thanks for your words of comfort and advise. It's always nice to talk to other moms. I better get off here now and get some housework done and hope and pray that Skyler has a good day. I don't know if I can handle it again today.

I should have known we were in for trouble when Skyler was young. Hence the little scream fest we had here when she was about 10 months old. The temper was already flaring at this tender age...



Upload Video at JussPress.com
It's Never Going to End....
Monica; 10:11 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I don't know where the light is at the end of the tunnel, but I am sure that there is an end somewhere.. maybe when she hits 25 or so.. LOL..
In the meanwhile.. Good luck! and I sincerely mean that. Before you know it your vacation will be here! Thank goodness for vacations with no kids!LOL

1:24 PM  
Blogger Tonia said...

Hi, I am so happy to got the infos from your post about posting video online/blog, after watched the video on your blog, I went to register a account for myself too, it is easy & good in image, now I can share videos online with my family and friends. Thanks!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Tonia:

Thanks for visiting my site. I'm glad you found the link to jusspress. Isn't it an easy video sharing program to use! I'm sure you will love using it on your blog. I tried to leave you a comment on your blog, but it's password protected. Your kids are absolutely adorable! Take care!

Monica

7:22 AM  
Blogger Tonia said...

Hi Monica
Thanks for the reply, since too much ads on my blog, so I have disable the comment for now, if you like you can email me, there is a email link on the left hand side , or maybe I will put back the comment later.
Tonia

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com