Pieces of Us...
Things Are Getting Better... - Friday, September 30, 2005
So things are getting better with Skyler going to school. I guess it's just that "adjustment period" or something. So far this week, no kicking and screaming and having to physically drag her into school. So that's a good sign! And this entire week, she hasn't received one single "frowny face" on her chart. Woohooo! Things are looking up in the world in the school department.

I thought things were going so well this week until we had another blow up at McDonald's the other day. Since Skyler has been doing so well in school and going to bed for the last week or so, I thought I would take her and Chase to McDonald's for dinner and to play at the Playplace. Things went great at first. She ate her dinner before getting up to play. We stayed for about 1 1/2 hours (way too long) and she played with various kids. Then when it was time to go she walked out with no problems. She was sweating pretty badly and was asking for a drink of water. So I got her a glass of water and we headed towards the door. I asked her if she was finished with the water and she said yes, so I threw it into the trash can as we were going out the door.

When we got outside she learned her back up against the wall of the building and refused to move. So for about 3 minutes or so I spoke quietly to her asking her to please come on. Various cars were stopping to let us cross. But Skyler wouldn't budge. She also had the arms folded across her chest in the "I'm not budging, no matter what you say" stance. So after about 3 or 4 minutes of trying nicely, I just picked her up underneath her arms and threw her under my shoulder and hauled her a-- to the van with her kicking and screaming the entire way of course.

So after we get in the car she just totally loses it. She is kicking and screaming in her booster. As I drive down the road she is yelling at me to stop. She then takes her shoes off and hits me in the back of the hea with her shoes (luckily they were flip-flops and not tennis shoes). So I pulled the car off on the side of the road and opened her door and smacked her leg. (Yes I know I SPANK my child. Forgive me). She just lost her sh--. I tried talking calmly to her but she was screaming, so I got back in the van and started on my way home.

Then she starts yelling, "Stop the car Mommy and spank me!" "I WANT you to stop this car RIGHT NOW and spank my bottom!!"

I'm like what the ----? Girlfriend is going psycho on me. I very seldom spank her and it's not like I beat the ever living daylights out of her. I just smacked her leg to get her to stop kicking the back of my seat. I know by now that spanking doesn't solve anything with her. It just makes her angrier. So when we got home Jonathan and I tried talking to her, but she was so worked up, we just had to have her sit down until she calmed down which took about 30 minutes for her to stop screaming and carrying on. After she had calmed down we discussed how she acted and told her that she had lost various privileges.

Ah the wonders of raising pre-schoolers. And to think we have to go through this all over again with Chase in just a year or so. I don't know if my mind can stand it. I really hope we don't have to deal with some of this stuff with Chase. I'm sure Chase will have different issues. But Skyler just turns absolutely psycho sometimes. It really upsets my mom to no end. Neither me or my brother acted like she does. And sometimes it just seems the more you try and do for her, the meaner she is.

So anyway. That's how my day went. Nothing much else going on. Jonathan has been working pretty late all this week because it's the end of the month. So really it's just been me and the kids at home doing absolutely nothing. A little homework, some play time, dinner, more play time. How exciting is that? I will say that this new schedule of mine at work has been wonderful. I feel like I actually get to spend some time with my kids in the evening and I can actually get a few things done. Instead of leaving everything until the weekend and then trying to cram it all in at once.

Moving on to other matters, we received our confirmations from Jonathan's work on our flights and everything for our trip to St. Thomas. We leave Raleigh at 7:30 a.m. and have two stops! Yuck! We fly from Raleigh to Orlando, from Orlando to Miami and then from Miami to St. Thomas. We don't arrive in St. Thomas until 4:30 p.m. Ugh! That's traveling all day long. But I can't bitch. It is free... Well I won't say it's "free". We just got a letter in the mail from his employer saying that we were responsible for all taxes for the trip. Geeze! They get over somehow don't they? The bad thing is they tax you at like 45% on the cash portion of the prize. They say it's "special pay."

So we stay in St. Thomas from Sunday until Thursday and then on Thursday we fly from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale. We spend two nights in Ft. Lauderdale and then on Saturday we are off on our 8 day cruise! I secured our room in Ft. Lauderdale from Priceline.com. I had originally won the Sheraton Airport location for $45.oo for one night back in May on Priceline and when I called to try and add a night they wanted $229.00 for the extra night! Yikes! So I just went back online and tried to get another room. I knew I may not get the same hotel because you don't get to actually choose your hotel when you bid for a hotel on Priceline. But I was lucky and got the Sheraton again. So $90.00 for two nights instead of like $500. Um, hello, that is an awesome deal. This was my first experience with Priceline, so I'll have to tell you how it went after we actually stay there. Do you think they might put us in the basement with the laundry or something? ;-)

We've decided to rent a car while we are in St. Thomas. I just hate being stuck at a hotel. When I travel, I like to get out and see the towns and the locals. St. Thomas is a very small island, but I still like to have my own transportation and cabs are pretty expensive. Just wish us luck as they drive on the opposite side of the road. Jonathan says he won't have a problem with it, but I don't think I will be doing any driving while we are there. I'll just be the "backseat driver."

They have a
Tiffany store on the island, so I am picking out several pieces that I like and hopefully will be able to find one at their store. One of the girls from work is also going to give me some money to bring her a piece back. It's about 25% cheaper in St. Thomas than the Tiffany stores on the mainland.

Well I guess I better get some things done. Hope everybody has a great weekend!
Things Are Getting Better...
Monica; 7:45 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

uzyrxSkylar is absolutely adorable! I am glad that things are going better at school with her! I completely know what you are going through with the fits and screaming. My oldest is 6 and she is the worst one of the three when it comes to throwing temper tantrums! So, good luck with that one.. LOL. And just so my little secret is out too, I spank my kids also when they act like this, which they do.
Have fun on your trip! That sounds so amazing and exciting, I am completely jealous. You get St. Thomas and I get the Chicago Bears game in Chicago in the middle of winter.. Boo Hoo!.. Have fun!

4:54 PM  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

I admit that i spank my children too, But this is only as a last resort! If Amber would have done that i would have sent her to her room till she calmed down.

Kids are a trip, you think that everything is going smoothly till they throw a stick in your plans. They are so unpredictible.

Have fun on your trips.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

My mom says i was the tantrum queen. If there was ever a kid on the floor having a fit in a store, it was probably me! Fortunately for me, although my kids are loud little monsters they are actually pretty well behaved. Sure we dont know how the little one really will be yet, but Dakota is 13 and, well, we let him live this long! (haha) You have a beautiful little girl, even if she is "cranky"!

12:56 AM  
Blogger Tonia said...

Hi, it is fun or it is not fun, somethimes you will love them so much and somethimes you will HATE them so much. I did spank my kids too, but now I've learn the best way to TREAT them is, I will say (just say not really going to do), "If you keep doing THAT or THIS, I will LEAVE you guys alone at home, I will drive the car away without YOU", and it seems work with my kids. Once I said that they will stop Yelling, Frighting or whatever they are doing to keep me to stay with them.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com