Pieces of Us...
The Pre-School Blues.... - Friday, September 23, 2005
Ah the wonders of starting pre-school. As everyone knows from my journal, Skyler has been going to a private Christian school for almost two years. So when I signed her up for the county pre-school program, I just automatically assumed that it would be a smooth transition. I mean she has never been with me 24/7 or anything and she adapted to the Christian school so well. She actually loved going 99% of the time. There was the occasional morning when girlfriend threw a fit and didn't want to go to school. But that is kind of expected from a 3 year old. But all-in-all, she did a really good job going to school and behaved pretty well.

Unfortunately, I was actually at convention when her first day of school rolled around. I was able to take her to a "test" day the week before. And she seemed to like it well enough. She was excited to be going to the "new school" as she calls it and to make new friends. Well just let me tell you, things are not going so well.Well things aren't going so well at the "new school." As a matter of a fact, Jonathan just now called and said that he had to physically drag her into school this morning. She hates it. And I mean she hates it with a passion. She hates the teacher, she doesn't like the other kids, she doesn't like the assistant. She just plain ole doesn't like it at all.

I think I know one of the reasons she doesn't like it is because basically at her old school it was still kind of like daycare. I mean they had some things they had to do, but for the most part, it was all play. Now at the new school they are really trying to prepare the kids for kindergarten. It is so structured. I won't even begin to go into details of how structured this program is. And it seems Skyler isn't adjusting very well.

The teacher has this reward system where she gives the kids frowny faces every time they do something they aren't supposed to. I.e., talking out of term, etc. So if you get 3 or more frowny faces in a day, you don't get your afternoon treat and sticker. Well so far, Skyler hasn't come home with a treat or sticker yet! It's all very puzzling to me considering she was so good at the other school. And I'm not sure why she is getting frowny faces. The thing is, your not allowed to speak to the teacher when you pick her up or drop her off. The teacher says she is too busy to talk to parents. If we have any questions, we must write them down on a note. Well first of all I think this is ridiculous. I think we should be able to ask a few questions about our kids. Or she should at least allow us to set up an appointment to discuss the matter. I'm just not really happy. And obviously Skyler isn't happy.

She hates it so much that she feigns sickness at night and in the mornings. She will even try and make herself throw up! Geeze, the things I have to look forward as girlfriend grows up, huh? I think she still isn't comprehending that there are consequences for her actions. She is really upset that every single day she doesn't get a sticker or a treat like the rest of the kids. But she isn't putting two-and-two together that it's because of her own actions that she isn't getting the treat. She just thinks that the teacher doesn't like her or something.

I just hope things get better soon because Jonathan is not taking it well. Since I now have to be at work at 7:00 a.m., he has to take Skyler to school and Chase to the babysitter. I used to take Skyler to school and then pick both of them up. So all he had to do was take Chase to the babysitters. So he isn't handling having to take her to school very well. He has to get Chase out of his carseat and take him in with him. Well this morning he had to physically drag Skyler into school while carrying Chase. He said we are going to have to think of something else. I explained to him that he could take Chase first and then drop off Skyler, but he doesn't want to get stuck in the school traffic. He just doesn't deal with things very well.

He thinks I am supposed to solve everything. He can't figure things out for himself. I explained to him that I cannot drop off Chase because I have to be at work at 7:00 a.m. and the babysitter won't let us bring him until 7:30 because she goes to work out at the YMCA. So he just gets pissed off and hangs up on me. This is his answer every time he gets pissed off at me. It's not "Let's discuss this." It's just "click." Does that not totally piss you off? It's pretty bad when your 35 year old husband acts like his 4 year old. So when I tried to call him back, he doesn't answer his phone. Geeze.

Moving on to other matters. We finally found out where we will be staying on our trip to St. Thomas. It's the
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort. It looks really nice. But you know me and my pre-planning... As soon as I found out where we were staying I started doing my research. I.e., looking the place up on tripadvisor.com, etc. It seems it's VERY expensive to eat there. I'm not sure yet if it's an all-inclusive that he has won or if we are going to have to pay for our own food. But most reviews said it was basically $100 to eat dinner. Yikes! They also said that a soda was $3.25 and a bag of doritos from the little market was $5.95!!! So now we will probably starve while we are on our trip.

I think we will rent a car while we are there. This way we could make little runs to a local market that is a few miles away to stock up on snacks and maybe bread and sandwich meat. Not to mention I hate nothing more than being stuck at a hotel with no way to go places other than cabs. I've also already found out it's an approximate $40 cab ride round trip to go into town to do any shopping. The only thing that scares me about driving in St Thomas is they drive on the opposite side of the road and I heard the drivers are absolutely crazy. It couldn't be worse than Korea I'm sure.

I also must head to Borders to purchase my travel book on St. Thomas. I never go anywhere without a Lonely Planet or Frommers. I'm such a nerd. I just want to make sure I don't miss something really exciting while we are on our travels. My Lonely Planet Korea book was like our Bible while we were living in Korea. I still have it. It is so worn and torn and dog-eared. But I used it almost daily while we were there. It had the subway routes, places to eat, places to stay, things to see, info on cabs, etc. It was just great!

After the way Jonathan has been acting here lately, I'm not sure if I want to spend two whole weeks, 24 hours a day with him. He has just been plain ole pissy here lately. I know things are stressful at work, but he just seems to come home and take it out on us sometimes. And there is no reasoning with the man. If you try and talk to him he is all "We know your the PERFECT mother..." Um oh hell no, I don't think that and I never say that. As a matter of a fact, I think both of us are pretty crappy parents most of the time. And that's sad to say. But some people are just better parents than others I guess. I seriously think we both need some counseling in the parenting department.

Well enough bitching and moaning and groaning for one day. That's how my day went. How bout yours? Hope it was better than mine.
The Pre-School Blues....
Monica; 7:26 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

That really stinks that she hates school. I know kids hate the strcuture but maybe it is good for her with 'real' school coming up. I would be super pissed if one of my kids teachers wouldnt talk to me. Does she have a supervisor or someone that runs the whole program? I hope you get everything situated and just an FYI (as if you didn't know this) men stink at handling anything, unless it involves sports, cars or themselves LOL

9:21 AM  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

Hope you can work things out with skyler, i never had to go thru that with my kids. Once in awhile they try the sick card, but they know the rule! No Vomit, No Fever your in school!

I think we married the same man, i'm suprise he goes to the bathroom by himself!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

Amazing, what a lousy teacher. honestly she may be on to something. Parents should be involved in their childs education, including haveing a working relationship with the teacher. if her teacher is too busy for you... then your childs education is probably suffering because of it. are there any other school options in your area? i would look into them!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com