Pieces of Us...
Summer's Almost Over... - Wednesday, August 10, 2005

It's hard to believe summer is almost over. I have been so busy at work and in the evenings, as usual, I haven't had time to update my journal. Not to mention we are on the go every weekend.

Yesterday was Little Man's 1st Birthday! We didn't do anything special. We are going to have him a birthday party in TN on Sept. 4th. Since he doesn't know the difference, we figured we would just wait and celebrate then. We are actually having both of them a birthday party at home in TN because their birthdays are so close together. I realize when they get older that we will definitely need to do separate parties, but for now it will have to do. We are going to have Skyler a party here in NC with her friends, but not until mid September some time.

We are still trying to figure out what school she is going to go to. I ended up having to pay her tuition at her private school for this month because she is on the waiting list for the county's Pre-K program. That really sucks. It takes an act of Congress to get into Pre-K around here. They say they take the "slowest" and "kids with the most needs" first, so I guess it's a good sign that she isn't ranked in that category. Then if they have any spots left over, they let the other kids in. The last time I called, Skyler was number 5 on the list to get into her school. I looked her school's report card up and can you believe her elementary school has 14 Kindergarten classes! Good God! We must breed like rabbits around here or something, huh? It sucks because I have already paid a $140 registration fee for her private school and now I've paid $300 for the first month's tuition. But if I do get her in Pre-K, at least I won't have to pay the $300 per month tuition. I'll only have to pay for after-school care. That would be a huge relief off our monthly budget. Kids are expensive!!! Daycare is just eating us alive right now.

We had a pretty good weekend. On Saturday we took the boat to a local lake. Jonathan has been there twice, but he was still kind of unsure how to get there. It's way out in the "boonies" and the way he had been taken before was lots and lots of turns. I looked up the directions on mapquest and we made it there with no problems. Skyler had an absolute blast. She started standing on the back of the boat and just falling backwards into the water. It was really funny to watch. I actually got a short video clip of it on my camera. If I could figure out how to post video clips on the journal, that would be pretty cool. It was a good day and we all had a lot of fun.

So after our afternoon on the lake, Jonathan decided he wanted to try and find his way back the original way he had come with his buddies. I was like,

"Um, Jonathan, are you sure you know your way back?"

He said, "No, but I think I can figure it out."

I said, "Ok, but it's pretty late and Chase is really hungry. Maybe we should just go back the way we came."

He said, "Nah, we'll find our way, no problem."

I should have listened to my little voice in the back of my mind telling me to make him take the frigging way we knew! We traveled on some back ass country roads for over two hours! Yes people, two hours before we ever saw any road signs that we recognized or even had a number on it! Geeze! We ended up about 3 towns over from where we were trying to get to. I never realized NC had so many back ass country roads like TN has! So after we had stopped to eat dinner, it was like 10:00 p.m. before we got home. Little Man was completely zonked out. He normally goes to bed around 8:00 p.m.
It was all pretty funny, but at the time I was thinking we were never going to get home. And the whole time we were on those country roads, we didn't see one single gas station. There were churches every 50 feet, but not one single gas station! I'm glad I had a full tank of gas when we started out that morning. I told Jonathan afterwards that from now on we were going to take the way we knew!

Sunday I took Skyler to the water park. She is getting so bold in the water. She climbed up on the pirate ship, all the way to the tippy, tippy top and jumped off. It's higher than a diving board. I think the lifeguard was going to freak out when he first saw her, but after she jumped down and swam around to the back of the boat and ran up there to do it again, he was laughing. Girlfriend is now fearless of the water. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

It's hard to believe the water park will be closing in a few weeks and it will soon be too chilly to go out on the lake. I love spring and summer. Fall is okay, but I hate winter. I'm just not a cold weather person. I don't like the 95 degree summer heat either, but I can tolerate it better than snow! I'm glad we don't live somewhere where it snows all the time. I couldn't handle that. Even living in Germany for 4 years, we hardly ever saw snow where we lived. We lived in between two mountain ranges and most of the time the snow passed right over us.

Well I want to get this post up, because I haven't posted since last week. Hope everyone had a great week! Good luck to all the kids heading back to school to!
Summer's Almost Over...
Monica; 10:13 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

My son's birthday is Tuesday, but sunday we are taking him and all his friends to the bowling alley and having some cake. He will be 11 on tuesday.

Amber's birthday is Sept.26

Sounds like we had our children around the same months.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Sounds like you guys have a blast on the lake.. Its cool that your kids get those opportunites.. Its great to raise your children in the country.. I wish you the best of luck on the school thing. I know how super super expensive daycare is..

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com