Pieces of Us...
Back from the Trip... - Saturday, July 30, 2005

I'm back from my trip. It was great getting away for a few days and this trip was much better than most because I wasn't in charge! Yippee!! Don't get me wrong, I still had to work, but it wasn't like the entire conference was MY responsibility, so it was a bit more relaxing. You know the only thing that sucks when your away for a few days is when you get back and you have like 2 million emails and 500 voice mails to catch up on. I was planning on returning from the trip, working a full day on Thursday and then taking Friday off as comp time. Well that ended up not happening. But at least I will get an extra day off later.

So things went really well at the conference. It was in Wilmington. I had never been to Wilmington before, so it was something new for me. We got there Sunday night and had a nice dinner at a place where the name escapes me at the moment, but it was right on the riverwalk. So we had dinner with the mosquitos on the river. It would have been nice if we hadn't of been eaten alive by the mosquitos. I went back to the hotel and relaxed for the rest of the evening. I don't get to do that very often with two little ones in the house. It was cool because the hotel had those Tempur-Pedic mattress and they were heaven! My back always hurts when I get up in the morning and after sleeping on that mattress my back was fine in the morning. I came home and immediately went to the Tempur-Pedic website to find out how much they cost. I had every intention of purchasing us one until I saw a king size was like $2,800. Jesus H. Christ! So much for that!

Monday was a very busy day because it was the first day of the conference. We had about 192 people registered from 5 states: North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia & Alabama. Everyone but 1 person showed up, so it was really well attended. It wasn't like our yearly convention where we have about 1500 people. This was just a small meeting. So after we had everyone checked in, things ran pretty smoothly the rest of the day.

Monday evening the entire group took a dinner cruise on the Henrietta III down the Cape Fear River. It was pretty cool, but the dinner took forever. The cruise was 3/4 of the way over before we were even served our dinner. The food was decent considering they were serving about 200 people at once. But I definately was not impressed with the service. After our dinner cruise about 10 of us went to Kilwin's for some ice cream. Kilwin's has the best ice cream, in my opinion, second only to Cold Stone Creamery, of course.

Tuesday was pretty relaxing because we only had to work the conference until 2:00. So after that my friend Sam and I (Sam is short for Samantha) went on a "road trip." Sam used to live in Wilmington and various other towns around the area. So we decided to head to Carolina Beach to see some old houses she used to live in and let her take a "trip down memory lane" so to speak. We drove by a few houses they used to live in, but most of them had been torn down. After visiting Carolina Beach we headed on down to Kure Beach and Fort Fisher. Fort Fisher was apparently the last major strong hold of the confederacy during the Civil War.

After our visits to the beaches, we then decided to get even more adventurous and took a road trip all the way down to Myrtle Beach, SC. Now I've been to Myrtle Beach many times in my life, but the last few times I have been there it has been with conventions for work, so I don't even get to set one little toe out on the beach because I am so damn busy. So it was nice to spend a few hours there and not actually having to work!

We decided we would go eat at Broadway at the Beach. For those of you who have never been there (including myself), it is totally awesome! I can't even begin to describe it. You'll just have to look at their website for yourself. The only problem was it was over 100 degrees and the heat index was about 115. So we didn't feel like walking around and ate at Senor Frogs. I've actually ate at the Senor Frogs in Cancun, Mexico before. There were dozens of restaurants and shops and it was just a really cool place, but it was too damn hot to enjoy anything. I definately want to go back again and look around more.

By the time we finished dinner and did a bit of shopping at some of the outlets, it was going on 9:00 p.m., so we headed back to Wilmington. Now if I was a partying girl, that would have been the place to party. But alas, Sam and I are just boring old hags. Which is a good thing since I'm married and a mom, I guess. he he he

The next day was the last day we were in Wilmington and the conference was over at 1:00 p.m. So after we wrapped everything up we headed back home. And we absolutely, positively can't pass through Durham without stopping at PF Chang's. We made it back home around 7:00 and I headed home, exhausted. It was great to see the kids again, but I had to go back to work the next day. Since I was so pooped from the trip, I ended up going in on Thursday and Friday a bit late. I guess I'm just getting old and can't handle as much anymore. he he he

So that was basically my week. It's Saturday right now and both the kids are taking a nap. I actually hear Chase. He just woke up and is upstairs in his bed banging on a toy. It is 4:00 p.m. and I am still in my gown. Now that's pretty sorry isn't it? Sometimes on weekends we stay in our night clothes the whole weekend and don't even leave the house. It doesn't happen often, but this might be one of those weekends. I actually tried to get Skyler dressed, but she wouldn't have none of it. She wanted to stay in her jammies.

Jonathan had to go in to work today. He is trying to beat an all times sales record at work this month and tomorrow is the last day of the month. I hope he makes it. He won't get a bonus or anything, but he will get a bit of recognition.

I'm actually cooking today. My parents canned some beans this summer and they brought a couple of jars to us. So I put some green beans with some potatoes and a bit of fat back on the stove and cooked them really slow all day. When Jonathan gets home he will grill us some lemon pepper chicken and we'll also have corn on the cob. That's a grand meal for us because most of the time we eat sandwiches or eat out. We usually don't end up getting home until around 7:30 during the week and it's just too damn late to cook during the week. Weekends usually are a bit slower paced and I cook some. Since the weather has been bad this weekend we probably won't get to go out on the boat or go to the water park. That really sucks because summer is almost over. I can't believe Skyler will be going back to school in about three weeks.

Speaking of school, hopefully we will hear real soon if she got into the county's K-4 or not. If she didn't it's another year at the Christian school. I'm hoping she did get in so I won't have to pay that private school tuition.

Well I guess I better run for now and go tame Little Man. He is tearing down Skyler's blocks and she is getting pissed off. She just said to him, "Stop! I don't like you, I want a new baby! Y our not my friend anymore!" He he he Oh the years of sibiling fighting I have to look forward to.....

Back from the Trip...
Monica; 4:05 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

It sounds like your trip was just what you needed. Isn't it nice to feel like an adult now and then, and not just a mom. Although, it is still always nice to get back home!
P.S. Your not weird for staying in your nightclothes all weekend, if I can swing it, it happens every weekend at our house ! LOL

10:58 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I will defintely post pictures of the inside when I get them! We have always lived in town too, so the neighbors are very close. I am sure my loud children drive them crazy! LOL...

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I am in real estate. I only am just starting to sell, mostly I do the marketing and graphic design for a small group of agents. I love my job! Being a working mom is rough sometimes, I get some comments from alot of stay at home moms and stuff (like at my daughters sports meets) but I just deal with it, I love being a mom but love having my own identity also.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mallard said...

Welcome home again. Sounds like a great time was had by all - excellent!

Aren't they amazing matresses, eh? That's why they're soooo expensive - bugger!

Hope the sibs are getting on a bit better today for you all too ;)

11:56 AM  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

wish my job set me away. If i was store manager they send you to certain places for meeting. My manager just came back from Las Vegas for a meeting. Oh well maybe some day.

I looked into those mattresses also. That's also another daydream of mine. It must be nice to be rich, I wouldn't know...lol Maybe i will hit a lottery one day :) sigh

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com