Pieces of Us...
What, No Kids!?!?! - Monday, February 14, 2005
I still can't believe the kids are gone!!! Today after work I went to the mall. Yes to the mall on Valentine's Day. It actually wasn't too bad. I think by the time I got there at 5:30 p.m., everyone was finished with their shopping and they were off to take their significant other out to dinner. So it was great shopping without a crowd. Our mall is always packed. I despise to go there during the Christmas season. That's probably why I have 90% of my Christmas shopping done by October. It was so refreshing to head to the mall without worrying about who was going to pick up Chase from his babysitter's or who was going to pick up Skyler from school. Yes, I just "mozied" on over to the mall, took my time looking around, did a bit of shopping for myself, a bit of shopping for my hubby.... And yes! I also bought a Christmas present for this year!!! That's pretty sad isn't it? But when you can find stuff like 90% off, how can you not resist to shop for this Christmas!

I bought 3 Docker stain defender shirts for my stepdad. He absolutely loves them. I bought him one this year for Christmas and paid like $29.99 for the thing. They had them on sale for $9.00! What a deal! And then I bought my hubby a Greg Norman golf jacket that was normally like $79.00 and was on sale for $16.00. Score! I also bought my hubby a few Ralph Lauren, Tommy shirts that was like 85% off. So I totally got some good deals today.

But then I bought myself two pairs of shoes that I had to pay full price for. I'm flat footed and I have to buy good shoes or my feet kill me. I've been eyeing these Clark sandals for like 3 months. Just waiting to see if those puppies would go on sale. But alas, they are the latest style and probably won't go on sale until summer sometime. So I broke down and bought them today. I mean we must have some nice comfy stylish shoes for our cruise, no? But of course!


I bought Jonathan several Valentine's presents. A jacket, some shirts, a long sleeved Tennessee t-shirt, some golf balls... and let's not forget the card! I think he has probably bought me like 3 gifts for Valentine's Day since we have been married. He doesn't buy birthday, Valentine's or Christmas presents often. I pretty much had to threaten him with bodily injury if he didn't buy me a gift this past Christmas. I mean I actually printed a picture out of the Tiffany necklace I wanted. How hard was that? And he did buy me two trips to our local spa with facials and massages for my birthday. So he did right by me in 2004. But he has definitely let me down in the past.
I should have known from the beginning how our marriage was going to go when the first year we were married and we were a young military couple living in Germany. I woke up that first Valentine's morning expecting a big kiss, a Happy Valentine's Day Honey, some flowers, a card, something.... Well nothing was mentioned that morning and off to work he went. I got up and headed to my job in Heidelberg (I was working for JAG at the time). No call for his loving wife that day while I was at work or anything. I headed home after work and no flowers awaiting my arrival. No home-cooked meal was prepared, etc. Hubby came home from work, no mention of the day or anything.... Needless to say, I went to bed pretty well pissed! When I woke up the next morning I told him how disappointed and upset I was. And he was like, "But didn't you see the card I put under your pillow for you?" Well duh! Like I know to look under my frigging pillow for a card!! Geeze! From that moment on, I should have known I was in trouble!

And then that first Christmas we were together. We were definitely poor. I mean dirt poor! I wasn't working yet that first Christmas and we didn't have two pennies to rub together. Jonathan was still a private and we were living on about $600.00 a month. I had a car payment, etc. It was not fun. Anyway, I was wondering if he was going to buy me anything because we lived in a 2 room apartment on top of a piano store and there really wasn't anywhere to hide a gift or anything. But come Christmas morning, Jonathan headed to our landlord's house (we were connected to their house) and came back with some wrapped gifts. It was kind of funny because he didn't know how to wrap a gift (and still doesn't to this day), so he had taken them to our landlord's wife, Sabina, and asked her to wrap them. Now Sabina didn't even speak English, but somehow he made her understand what he wanted. He didn't have any tape or anything so poor Sabina wrapped the gifts in paper and then tied them up with yarn to make the paper stay on. It was pretty funny to look at. I would give anything if I had taken a few photos of the gifts. I will never forget that first Christmas together. So far away from family, a world apart. But we had great friends and it was a wonderful time.


Well Jonathan arrived home and no Valentine's gift for me. Oh well, maybe next year, huh?

Tonight we watched The Terminal. It was a long movie. It was pretty good, but definitely long. We were both sitting there wondering how they could drag out a 2 hours 10 minute long movie when the guy never even left the airport terminal. It was a good movie, but not one I would watch again.

Jonathan watched Catwoman last night. He said he should have turned it off after the first hour. I guess that tells me he didn't think it was very good, huh? It still seems weird that we sat here and watched an entire movie all the way through with no interruptions. I don't think we have known what that felt like for at least the last 3 1/2 years.


I called mom to see how the babies were doing. My dad and stepmom picked them up this evening and took them to McDonald's. They said they were both really good. I really miss them. I especially miss Chase's cute little grin and Skyler's big hugs. They may drive you batty while they are here, but when they are gone, you wonder how you can live without them.



Well it's getting late and I better end for now. We spent most of the evening watching the movie. Tomorrow I MUST start packing for our cruise. We leave at 10:00 a.m. on Friday for our trip to New Orleans and then the cruise leaves on Sunday. Wooohoooo!!!!! I'm outta here!




Countdown to our Cruise!!
What, No Kids!?!?!
Monica; 6:59 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

Isn't it easier without the kids at the mall. Your able to actually look around.

I saw "catwoman"..i did not think it was that bad. I have never seen "the terminal"..I just recently watched "cellular"..i thought that was a good movie. I also thought "taxi" was a funny movie.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com