Pieces of Us...
An Old Friend Found - Friday, December 31, 2004
Its hard to believe that today is the last day of 2004. This year has really flown by. Of course the most exciting moment for me was the birth of our second child, Chase. I still can't believe he is here with us, happy and healthy. Well currently he is sick, poor baby. I have been out of work all week with him. He has had a fever for days now, running in between 101.5 and 104.2. Its pretty scary. The other night we were on the phone with the doctor's office at 3:00 a.m. When his fever went up over 104 it totally freaked us out. I don't remember Skyler's fever ever going that high. But maybe I just have a bad memory. I took him to the doctor and they said it was an ear infection and a common cold. But when one is so little, its just pitiful to see them sick. I just hope he gets better in the next few days. I don't think my bosses at work will appreciate me missing any more work.

The other day I met up (via email) with an old friend of mine. We will call her "Maggie". She and I first met as Army wives in Germany. Her hubby and my hubby were roommates in the barracks before we married our men. Anyway, she and her hubby had a beautiful baby girl when they were both very young and once he was in the Army and stationed in Germany, he decided they should marry. Now check this out, they were married over the phone! How wild is that. I remember though because Jonathan was in attendance at their wedding. Maggie was in the States and her hubby to be was there in Germany with Jonathan and the ceremony was performed via phone. Now the reason for this was obviously it was expensive and time-consuming for her hubby to return to the States... It was during the time of Desert Storm and was really hard for the guys to get back stateside.... And he wanted to get married and have his wife move to Germany as soon as possible. So they decided on a phone ceremony. Believe it or not, Jonathan and I considered doing the same thing, but ended up waiting until Desert Storm was over and he could return to the States for an "in person" wedding. Not to mention I actually checked into it and it was legal to be married over the phone in TN anyway.

Anyway, she and I were great friends while in Germany and we kept in touch for quite a few years after we were all stationed in other places. I had lost touch with her in recent years, but had sent her a Christmas card this year and she emailed me. Imagine my surprise to find out that my wonderful friend is now a published author! How absolutely cool is that?!?! Imagine my even more surprise when I found out she was an author of "erotic" literature. He he he You go girl! I haven't read any of her material yet, but I look forward to it. I haven't had much time to do any reading since Chase was born. As a matter of a fact, I think I have only read one book since he has been born. Anyway, if you'd like to check her out, here is a link to her website:

Maggie Casper

So best of luck Maggie and I hope you do great things with your writing and become a big time millionaire so I can say, "I knew Maggie way back when..." Oh yeah, did I also mention that Maggie is the proud mom of 4 beautiful daughters. How the woman is a mom of 4 and works for the fire department and has time to write when I can barely function with my 2, I will never know. Anyway, I'm glad to hear from her and I'm really excited to hear about her writing. I wish we could find more of our old friends from the military.

I know one friend Jonathan would really love to hear from was an old friend at Fort Stewart named Matt Lang from Ohio. Matt, if your out there somewhere, please contact us! I've tried many ways to find him, but I haven't been able to so far. Maggie said the way she found me was to just type my name into Google and boom, there I was. Now I wish it were that simple to find everyone. Of course, I have a pretty unusual name, so it wasn't too hard to find me. Maggie's husband works for the prison system, so she is very aware of how she needs to keep her life and name more private and confidential.

One of these days I am going to have to scan in some of the photos of our travels around the world and add them to some posts. I wish I had kept a journal on all of our travels. If the Internet had been around when we were living overseas in the early 90's, I can only imagine the difference it would have made. We didn't even know what email was back then. We could only call our families once a month because it was so expensive. Now they have all these special calling plans, email, instant messaging, etc. Its so much easier to keep in touch with family. I'm glad though, especially for our men and women who are serving in Iraq and other hostile areas. I can only imagine how hard it is for them being away from friends and families, especially during the holiday season.

I am still in search of how to improve my blog. I really want to get a new skin and start messing around with it. But I fear that may never happen. I signed up for Typepad today and messed around with it, but I wasn't really thrilled. Blogger is free and easy to use, but I wish I could add photos more easily and I want to get my own domain, etc. I even considered having a web design done by a professional, but $179.00 is a lot of money when I can do a lot of it myself.

Oh yeah, did I mention that Jonathan did buy me the Tiffany necklace I was wanting? The only bad thing is he bought the 15 inch chain (which he said he asked for the 18 inch one) and the damn thing barely reaches around my neck. So I must make a trip to Tiffany's in Charlotte this weekend to exchange the necklace. Its a bummer to have to drive all the way to Charlotte, but form what Jonathan says, the mall down there is pretty spectacular. I tried and tried to find a website for the Southpark Mall, but couldn't find anything other than stuff on yahoo. Oh well.

Jonathan is gearing himself up for "bowl day" tomorrow. Wohoo, an entire day of nothing but football games. How boring is that. The man comes home from work and turns on the tube and sits in the recliner all night. On Saturdays he gets up with Skyler around 8:00 a.m. and sits in the recliner from 8:00 a.m. until midnight watching ballgames. The leaves from the trees from this past fall are still on the grass in our yard. The man helps me with the kids, but that's basically it. Damn, I could strangle him sometimes. I would love nothing more than to burn our 55 inch television to the ground. I remember the good ole days in Germany when all we had was the one AFN channel (Armed Forces Network). There was never any fighting over the television or sitting in front of the tv for hours on end then. No, now we have digital cable with 150 channels to choose from. Geeze.

Anyway, let me get off my high horse and get dressed. Yes its 4:30 in the afternoon and I'm still in my pajamas. I guess I need to put my clothes on and go get my little girl. Today she is having a "reunion" with her old babysitter and two of the little girls she used to stay with. She hasn't seen them in months, so I'm sure she is having a good ole time playing with them today. I will probably have to drag her out the door this evening. Fun, fun.

Until we meet again....
An Old Friend Found
Monica; 3:46 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


about me
name: Monica
Home: Somewhere in NC
About: The life and times of a working mom with two kids who needs a break!






links
About Me


Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from monicahuck. Make your own badge here.


Archives



Blogroll

Blogroll Me!
Nance
Jane
Robyn
Emily
Caroline
Mallard
Allison
Mary
Jess
Krista
Goober Queen
Mojo
Special K
MrsDoF
Queen B
Say


Guestbook




credits
king i n c.
blogskins
blogger


Wanna know when I update?

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com


Webrings

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +
< # Blogging Bitches ? >


Blinkies Collection


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com